The Northern Alliance Youth Advisory Group held their first residential 10th -12th March 2023 at Highland Council HQ and Fairburn Activity Centre, Muir of Ord.
Young People and Youth Workers were present from Orkney, Western Isles, Highland, Moray, Aberdeenshire, Aberdeen City and Argyll & Bute. Unfortunately, Shetland were unable to attend due to poor weather conditions.
Young people spent the weekend getting to know each other and having fun by taking part in team building and social activities, as well as learning more about the Northern Alliance and exploring what is meant by meaningful youth participation through a series of workshops delivered by Naomi Macdonald (Youth Scotland), Hamish Nott and Kaydence Drayak (Youth Advisory Group members), and Derek Sawyer and Michelle Skellern from the Northern Alliance.
By the end of the weekend, young people identified the following key points from the residential:
What do we want and what needs to change?
- We want to be listened to and taken seriously by adults/schools.
- We want action now.
- We want better communication about what we want for our future.
What have we learned?
- Participation and engagement needs to be meaningful.
- How to run a focus group.
- Whose voices do we need to capture?
- We are all from different areas and backgrounds and we all have different needs.
- We all have a purpose to be here.
- We all want to make change.
- We want to collaborate with others to make that change.
- We need to ensure equity and equality.
Thanks to everyone who made this weekend happen and looked after us at Highland HQ and Fairburn Activity Centre.
For more information about the N.A. Youth Advisory Group, please contact: email@example.com